What you need to know - before you go ... to Ladies Day in Listowel this Friday
Everything you need to know - before you go - to the fashion event of the racing season - the McElligotts Honda Ladies Day at Listowel Harvest Races this Friday 14th of September
The race is on … to one of the most stylish and enjoyable ladies days in Ireland - the McElligotts Honda Ladies Day at Listowel Races. Attracting on average a crowd of 29,000, it’s everything a wonderful ladies day should be ... fashionable and fun - with amazing prizes including the opportunity to win a Honda Civic for a year and share in a €6,500 cash prize fund.
So here are the top 10 things you need to know - before you go ...
Get there early as the judges, actress and presenter Aoibhin Garrihy and fashion stylist and MC Marietta Doran, will be out and about looking for finalists from approximately 1.30pm and all finalists will be selected by 3.15pm.
2. Dress to impress and to be seen ! You can't apply to enter Ladies Day, instead the judges select you! Aoibhin and Marietta will meticulously tour the course to seek out the best style - but if you are hiding in a bar or the back of a stand, they may not find you. So make sure to be out and about if you want to increase your chances of being selected or indeed securing a coveted wrist band to the ladies day marquee.
3. It’s definitely worth dressing up ! The prizes are amazing.
McElligott’s Honda BEST DRESSED LADY
Winner : Honda Civic for a year plus cheque for €3,000
First runner up : Cheque for €1,000
Second runner up : Cheque for €500
McElligott’s Honda Ladies Day Jazziest Headpiece
Winner : €500
Listowel Races Most Stylish Young Racer under 25 years (open to men and women)
Winner : €300
First runner up : €200
Second runner up : €100
McElligott’s Honda Best Dressed Stable Groom (new category this year)
Winner : €300
McElligott’s Honda Most Stylish Selfie
Winner : €300
(Selected from all selfies with the hashtag photo #listowelraces from Wednesday to Friday at 3pm - so get snapping! )
McElligott’s Honda Most Iconic Lady
Winner : €300
4. Although it is called Ladies Day - it is all about equality as it’s not just for the ladies ! Men can enter the Most Stylish Selfie (just take a selfie and hashtag #listowelraces), Most Stylish Young Racer under 25 and are also eligible to be selected for the Best Turned Out Stable Groom.
5. Of course, you don’t have to dress up to show up and enjoy the fashion, meet friends old and new, bet on a few horses and have a brilliant time. Ladies Day is a spectator sport and you can have as much enjoyment watching the style - as wearing it.
6. If you want to see who makes the final cut and hear them being interviewed by the judges, make sure to go to the McElligotts Honda stage in the new bigger, and more spacious location near the Old Weir / town entrance to the race course from 3.30pm. This year the winners in all categories will be announced on the stage, with official presentations in the Parade Ring after the fifth race.
7. Remember that this is an outdoor event, and it is Autumn - so dress accordingly and think new season! If you have already selected your outfit, and feel you may be a bit chilly, wear thermals underneath. Instant tan is also not a good idea as it may run if it rains! Comfortable footwear is also worth considering (or pack those pumps for Apres Racing - as Listowel town is the place to be with the best pubs, great restaurants and lots of live music and free entertainment!)
Happily the weather forecast is looking good for the afternoon :}
8. Listowel Races think of everything - and have once again organised a FREE double decker open top bus to ferry ladies from the town centre to the race course with music, nibbles and a few celebrity passengers! It is an unmissable and imaginative fun start to the day. So as they say ‘Save you heels - we have got wheels”! First bus departs at 12.30pm and runs every half hour.
9. There can only be 10 finalists - so if you don't get selected - don't be disheartened. Fashion is very subjective - and in the end - everyone is a winner ! If you feel good in what you are wearing - that's what counts !
10. Admission is only €20 and OAP / Students are only €12 and children under 12 have free admission to the race course, when accompanied by an adult. All tickets can be purchased online at www.listowelraces.ie or at the gate . There are 3 entrances to the course and ample parking. For more information on Listowel Races contact 068 21144 / 21172 and remember to follow the #listowelraces for updates and to join the conversation! .
See you there !